There are basically three methods for prevention, usually, the filtration process of packets of any network helps a lot in preventing spoofing.
The three methods are:
What is IFM in spoofing prevention?
IFM stands for the “ingress filtering method”. It is processed in which every packet is checked first. And the process makes sure that the packets come from the same network from which it claims. Normally when the packet is not in a processing state the filtration process is done but it is contradicted in some cases. Sometimes it completely stops the transmission of a packet and in some situations; it sends the packet back to the sender device.
How does EFM prevent spoofing?
EFM stands for “Egress filtering method”. It creates a boundary and stops all those packets which seem to be infected. Each outgoing packet is tested in it with the aid of a router or firewall, packets that don’t fulfill the requirements and policies are not allowed to leave. When we are talking about the corporate network it denied all the traffic except traffic that comes from some specific sources. It requires policies and regular changes in the policies therefore it is difficult to implement it on a small level or in small businesses.
What is SPM?
SPM stands for “spoofing prevention method”, it is a new and recently introduced method to prevent the network from spoofing. In this methodology, the routers check and verify the address of the coming packets. It works with the temporal key that is attached to each ordered pair. Each packet has a key k (S, D) where “S” is the starting point and the “D” is the destination.
When the packet reaches the destination point, the key of the reached packet is read, verified, and then removed. There is a condition not to overload the routers.
How to prevent yourself from spoofing?
- Go on with sharp eyes, and notice carefully the spoofing and its common types. Get aware of all the possible symptoms of a spoofing attack.
- Turn on the spam filters, it saves you from spoofed emails.
- Apply a two-factor authentication process to secure your passcodes to one level up, remember that it is not a way to apply alone for security. Apply it with other security measures to get the best results.
- The analysis process through packet filtering is another strongest way to remain secure from spoofing attacks. This filtering process thoroughly checks all the packets and never allows that packet which is doubtful.
- The use of special software known as spoofing detection software is also a way to avoid spoofing attacks.
- The authentication of all systems and users is also a very essential process; it helps to avoid spoofing attacks.
- Using protocols is another way to avoid spoofing attacks. But those protocols must be authenticated and encrypted. Some of the most used protocols are transport layer security, internet layer security, the secure shell, and many more.
- The hidden process of an “IP address” is also a way to avoid spoofing attacks.
- To avoid spoofing it’s better to change passwords after short intervals or on a regular basis.